Peer Specialist at WellSpan Philhaven (Lancaster, Lebanon and York County)
Lancaster, Lebanon and York County
*For potential employees desiring to become a Certified Peer Specialist*
Under the general supervision of the Mental Health Professional and Lead Certified Peer Specialists, contributes in a peer support capacity to facilitate recovery and enhance wellness by sharing his/her personal/practical experience and first-hand knowledge to the team and clients. Provides expertise about the recovery process, symptom management, and the persistence required by patients to have a satisfying life. Serves as a role model for recovery for both staff and peers and partners with peers in developing recovery tools and building support networks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The following are essential job accountabilities:
1. Complete WellSpan specific trainings as assigned.
2. Complete First Aid and Basic Life Skills training.
3. Complete a 75-hour approved Peer Specialist training within 8 weeks of hire date.
4. Complete program specific orientation which includes but is not limited to; learning EHR Epic system, building IRP’s, learning different documentation required for Peer Support services, learning workflows and other job-related processes.
5. Develop a schedule that consists of meeting and supporting Peers and includes supervision and team meetings as scheduled.
6. Complete no less than 10 shadowing hours with a current Certified Peer Specialist.
7. Complete no less than 8 billable shadowing hours with a Lead Certified Peer Specialist.
8. Complete and pass the required PCB exam for a Certified Peer Specialist after the 75-hour training but within 6 months of hire date.
9. Demonstrates understanding and ability to complete the necessary documentation within the time limits set forth by the OMHSAS bulletin.
10. Acquires knowledge or resources in assigned county/counites while maintaining an excellent working relationship with all providers.
11. Acts as a liaison with other community agencies/groups, funding sources and businesses that relate to the services provided to peers.
12. After completing the 75-hour Certified Peer Specialist Training, develop a consistent schedule to meet with Peers, complete the documentation as required, and maintain a 70% ratio of billable hours to total hours.
The following are common expectations:
13. Attends all meetings with supervisor, staff, and clients as well as trainings and in-services.
14. Reinforces hope and the potential for recovery to peers and others.
15. Encourages and provides support for peers to advocate for themselves.
16. Models coping techniques and self-help strategies.
17. Completes yearly annual safety education modules in compliance with WellSpan Philhaven policy.
18. Performs and participates in outcome measurement, performance improvement and customer satisfaction studies designed to measure and improve the quality of services delivered.
19. Contributes to a safe work environment through knowledge and practice of safe behavioral management practices, fire safety, physical plant safety, safe emergency practices, and universal precautions for bodily fluids
20. Provides after hours telephone support to enrolled peers as assigned (On-call responsibilities rotated among staff).
21. Provides outstanding service to all customers; fosters teamwork; and practices fiscal responsibility through improvement and innovation.
The following are nonessential job accountabilities for ADA purposes:
22. Performs other related duties as identified.
Note: Self-identify as an individual who has received or is receiving mental health services for a “serious emotional disturbance” or “serious mental illness”
Serious Emotional Disturbance (SED) – A condition experienced by a person under 18 years of age who currently or at any time during the past year had a diagnosable mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder of sufficient duration to meet diagnostic criteria specified within the current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual; and that resulted in functional impairment which substantially interferes with or limits the individual’s role or functioning in family, education activities or community activities.
Serious Mental Illness (SMI) – A condition experienced by persons 18 years of age and older who, at any time during the past year, had a diagnosable mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder that met the diagnostic criteria within the current DSM and that has resulted in functional impairment, and which substantially interferes with or limits one or more major life activities. Adults who would have met functional impairment criteria during the referenced year without the benefit of treatment or other support services are considered to have serious mental illness. Substance use disorders and developmental disorders are not included.
Minimum Education High School Degree/GED
Minimum Experience 1 – 2 years of general work/volunteer/credit hour experience
Min Field Of Expertise Experience in navigating/personal knowledge and experience in the mental health system; professional office work experience
Req Cert/Registration Certification as a Peer Support Specialist; or certification eligible
Req Course(s)/Training Must provide clearance per the Child Protective Services Law amended by PA Act 33 of 1985
Physical Demands Mostly sedentary with light physical activity
Working Conditions Combination of a normal office environment and work in the community via programs, the clients’ home, etc.
Possible exposure to individuals with known or unknown infectious diseases
Skills: Other Excellent human relations and oral/written communication skills; Must have valid driver’s license and qualify for WellSpan driving privileges; Must obtain PA driver’s license in accordance with PA laws if license upon hire is out-of-state; .Knowledge of and ability in the care and support of individuals in a specific age group
Instructions on how to apply:
Please apply at WellSpan.org
Monica Thomas, Supervisor-Peer Support Services