Certified Peer Specialist at Merakey (Bethlehem, PA)
Certified Peer Specialist
Full Time - 40 hours - 1st Shift
- Complete admission assessments and safety plans
- Assist consumers in articulating personal goals for recovery.
- Assist consumers in determining the objectives/actions needed in order to reach recovery goals.
- Determine interventions based on consumers’ recovery goals.
- Assist or facilitate engagement of consumers in external groups to create plans for wellness, relapse prevention and crisis planning using tools such as the Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) and Psychiatric Advance Directive.
- Utilize and teach problem solve techniques.
- Teach consumers how to identify and overcome negative self-talk and fears.
- Support the vocational choices consumers make and assist them in overcoming job-related anxiety.
- Assist consumers with building social skills in the community that will enhance job acquisition and tenure.
- Inform consumers about community and natural supports and how to utilize these in the recovery process.
- Assist consumers in developing empowerment skills through education and self-advocacy.
- Provide insight into the cultural stigma surrounding mental illness and demonstrate effective and appropriate techniques to combat negative stereotyping.
- Educate and assist consumers in obtaining services that suit that individual’s recovery needs.
- Educate and role model in the community
- Teach and role model the value of every individual’s recovery experience.
- Model effective coping techniques and self-help strategies.
- Offer a non-judgmental forum for listening and providing empathy for the struggles of consumers.
- Collaborate with other formal and informal supports to promote recovery in all service areas.
- Assist and educate, (with the individual’s consent), family members and others to understand possible warning sings and triggers, appropriate supportive responses, wellness measures, and the overall recovery process.
- Assist non-consumer staff in identifying program environments that are conducive to recovery; lend unique insight into mental illness and what makes recovery possible.
- Be a source of positivity and hope that recovery is attainable and can lead to productive, meaningful lives.
- Uphold and support the policies and standards of Merakey.
- Participate in monthly supervision and attend monthly staff meetings.
- Attend required trainings to maintain Peer Certification (18 credit hours per year).
- Perform other tasks as assigned to support consumer recovery.
- Must have received Peer Specialist Certification upon graduation of the Certified Peer Specialist Training.
- In addition, must have a high school diploma or general equivalence degree (GED) and within the last 3 years has maintained at least 12 months of successful full or part time paid or voluntary work experience, or obtained at least 24 credit hours of post-secondary education.
Instructions on how to apply:
If you are interested you can apply directly through our Career Center by clicking on the below like (or copy/paste into your browser).