Certified Peer Specialist at Mental Health Association of NW PA (Erie)
Mental Health Association of NW PA
Certified Peer Specialist
part time, days, evenings, weekends
Employee must have successfully completed Certified Peer Specialist training recognized by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This is a part-time as needed position, normally working 15-28 hours per week. The person filling this position will provide fee for service peer support to adult mental health consumers, meeting medical necessity requirements, who are residing in Erie County. There will be evening and weekend hours. The employee must have good time management skills and be able to work independently. He employee must have an understanding of recovery principles related to the needs of mental health consumers. Knowledge of the concepts of a consumer run/consumer driven organization is required. Self-identification as a person who has or currently is experiencing homelessness or near homelessness is a plus as is the completion of Wellness Recovery Action Plan group facilitator training.
- Work one-on-one and in groups with peers who want assistance in meeting their recovery goals, including development of Wellness Recovery Action Plans or other recovery tools.
- Assist peers locating/utilizing natural supports.
- Assist peers in navigating the physical/mental health systems; provide advocacy and referrals as needed with other services and supports including involvement in the community and the MHA Consumer Center.
- Assist peers in a hands-on way with life skills including but not limited to problem solving, budgeting, hygiene, housekeeping, relationship/social skills, employment skills, credit rebuilding, and communication skills.
- Work closely with the Blended Case Manager and other supports.
- As assigned, represent Team and MHA at forums/meetings related to mental health.
- Participate in pertinent training opportunities.
- Complete all necessary paperwork and reports in regards to the peer he/she is providing support.
- Maintain standards of confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Act 33/34, Act 151, FBI Fingerprints
- Negative pre-employment drug screening
- Certified Peer Specialist Certification
- Computer skills working with Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Record keeping skills, ability to write clearly
- Proven ability to work as a member of a team
- Ability to manage own work schedule, set own appointments
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions
- Proven ability to advocate on behalf of self and others
- Knowledge of recovery principles related to mental health
- Knowledge of consumer rights as they impact mental health
- Knowledge of publicly funded mental health and addiction disease services in Erie County
- Knowledge of natural supports in the community
- Knowledge of the Mission of Community Care Behavioral Health
- Knowledge of the Mission, Vision and Values of the Mental Health Association of Northwestern Pennsylvania
- Have access to transportation
Instructions on how to apply:
Please send application to:
Monica Stanford, Operations Manager
Mental Health Association NW PA
1101 Peach Street
Erie, PA 16501
Deadline: November 26, 2020