Civil Service Employment

Pennsylvania has created a civil service classification for Certified Peer Support Specialists. It should be noted that if you submit a Civil Service application with a Certified Peer Specialist Certificate, no testing is required to qualify for Civil Service Peer Specialist positions. The civil service classification allows Certified Peer Specialists to work as government employees in state hospitals and in some county MH/MR offices.

Certified Peer Specialists who work in civil service positions generally do the same kind of work that Certified Peer Specialists do in non-civil service positions: supporting individuals with a mental illness.

To learn more about civil service and how to apply, visit