Certified Peer Specialist at Lancaster General Hospital (Lancaster)
Lancaster General Hospital
Certified Peer Specialist
The Peer Support Specialist functions as part of the treatment team on the inpatient mental health unit to facilitate recovery and enhance wellness through individual and group encounters. The PSS assists patients in gaining control over their own recovery process, role models competency in recovery and ongoing coping skills, serve as a mental health patient advocate by providing information and peer support and assist the mental health unit staff and leadership to develop a recovery oriented culture.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties in conjunction with the mental health unit team:
- Participates in the orientation of new patients to the unit
- Works with patients in completing an assessment to guide recovery planning
- Assist patients in articulating personal goals for recovery and to pursue a Wellness Recovery Action Plan
- Assist patients in developing self-management skills including problem solving and self-advocacy skills
- Participate in daily goal planning and discharge planning with the treatment team
- Assist patients to build/ utilize self-help recovery tools
- Assist patients to assess the value of and to develop (if desired) a Mental Health Advanced Directive
- Offer non-judgmental forum for listening and providing empathy for the patients experiences with mental illness and the mental health system
- Assist patients in to connect with self-help/ support groups and experiences in the community
- Assist and educate (with patients consent) family members and others to understand possible warning signs and triggers, appropriate supportive responses, wellness measures and the overall recovery process
- Participate in group sessions
- Support patients in self-advocacy and advocates for the patient with both staff and community
High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
Current Peer Specialist Certification.
Previous employment experience as a Peer Specialist.
Prior consistent work or volunteer history over the past 3 years.
Instructions on how to apply:
or contact Sue Martin – LG Health Human Resources at 717-544-4475